Ring in the New Year with a Healthier, Safer and more Positive YOU!
This time of year is full of New Years Resolutions so let’s start the year off right with a healthier, safer and positive YOU. Texas Mutual’s Toolbox Talks offers 3 timely tips for a more healthier and safer YOU!
What’s in it for YOU?
There is a great deal of emphasis spent on workplace safety, safe driving and other safety tips to avoid injuries. What’s in it for YOU? The potential benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle include weight loss, reduced stress, improved self-image, and lower risk of heart disease and other preventable illnesses. Wellness and workplace safety are also strongly connected. Healthy, fit employees tend to be less prone to certain types of workplace injuries, including strains. And when healthy employees do get injured, they often recover and return to the team faster.
Wellness is a lifestyle
Wellness is a lifestyle Wellness is a lifestyle rooted in choices we make every day, on and off the job. Of course, meetings, conference calls and deadlines also demand our attention. So how do we work wellness into our daily grind? Here are three general workplace tips to help YOU on your journey to a healthier, safer YOU.*
- Don’t skip breakfast.
- Pack a lunch instead of eating out.
- Make hydration convenient by keeping a large glass of water at YOUr work station.
- Avoid the vending machine. If you get hungry between meals, munch on fruit, nuts and other healthy snacks.
- Consider walking or biking to work, safely, of course.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Join a lunchtime exercise group.
- Stretch lightly at YOUr desk.
Manage YOUr mood:
- Counter stress by swapping “comfort food” with whole grains, lean protein, nuts and black tea, all of which increase your feel-good hormones.
- Keep a funny picture, toy, joke book or something else that makes YOU smile at your workstation.
- Manage YOUr workload by recognizing the difference between what is urgent and what can wait.
- Breathe deeply when you’re stressed. Deep breaths help slow YOUr heart beat and lower your blood pressure.
*Consult your physician before beginning any diet or exercise program.
Margot Chabot with #ProjectGoodness offers 8 Ways to Keep a Positive Mindset. These were featured on Ivanka Trump’s website http://www.ivankatrump.com/womenwhowork/. These inspired 8 tips will help YOU keep the new healthier and safer YOU throughout the year!
- Use negativity to remind you to concentrate on things that make YOU happy.
- Make it a habit to look for the goodness in YOUrself, others and your surroundings.
- Spread the positive vibes! Leave positive themed sticky notes for the others! Every smile is an achievement.
- Be aware of YOUrself, be present.
- Don’t let fear hold YOU back! Confront it and move on!
- Take the time to let YOUr mind wonder and daydream.
- Start a blessing journal, document YOUr positive progress.
- Be the change agent for YOUrself and see the changes around you!
All the best to YOU in 2017!!